Headquartered in Grants Pass, Oregon, Mycorrhizal Applications is the world’s leading manufacturer and supplier of commercially available mycorrhizal inoculants. The brain child of Dr. Mike Amaranthus, a leading mycologist who has published more than seventy papers on the topic of mycorrhizae, Mycorrhizal Applications formed in 1995, originally to supply spores and inoculants to the Forestry industry. Forming beneficial symbiotic relationships with more than 95% of the world’s plant species, the value of mycorrhizae has since been demonstrated in many industries and applications, including nursery, greenhouse, arbor care, horticulture, sod and turf, restoration/erosion control, and throughout agriculture. Mycorrhizal Application’s products harness the power and wisdom of the natural world to:
- Improve plant and crop health, quality, and yield
- Support living soils, reducing the need for expensive inputs
- Increase tolerance to drought and other environmental stress factors
“Science helping your plants grow better, naturally.”
At Mycorrhizal Applications, we are dedicated to sustainability by providing the agriculture, horticulture, landscaping, and forestry industries with efficient and effective microbial-based biorational solutions. We harness the power and wisdom of natural systems to promote living soils and improve quality, productivity, and health in all industries involving soils, plants, and people.
About the Technology
Mycorrhizal Applications’ MycoApply products contains multiple mycorrhizal fungi species that are scientifically selected for their key attributes and together they colonize plant roots to create a symbiotic root and mycelial network within the surrounding soils.
This enhanced network improves plant vigor by expanding the root’s ability to efficiently absorb water and nutrients under variable environmental conditions throughout the entire growing cycle.
Therefore, MycoApply brand technology provides the grower with consistent plant health and overall performance to optimize yield.
Research and Development
Mycorrhizal Applications operates a Research and Development laboratory within its headquarters in Grants Pass, Oregon, as well as an additional laboratory at the Donald Danforth Plant Sciences Building in St Louis, Missouri. These laboratories are dedicated to innovation, furthering and advancing the utilization of mycorrhizae in all applications, and continuing to evolve the high-quality and diverse product line offered by Mycorrhizal Applications.
Mycorrhizal Applications was founded in 1995 by Dr. Mike and Eileen Amaranthus, with a focus on producing ectomycorrhizal slurries for use in forest restoration. The company subsequently developed in vitro and in vivo methods for producing a diverse array of ecto- and endomycorrhizal spores for use in many applications, including agriculture, turf management, landscaping, and professional horticulture. Mycorrhizal Applications quickly grew into the largest manufacturer of commercially-available mycorrhizal products in the world.
- In 1995, Mycorrhizal Applications, Inc. is established in the Amaranthus’ garage
- In 1998, the company moved into its first official office on “D” Street in Grants Pass, OR
- In 1999, Mycorrhizal Applications branched out beyond the forestry industry, and added endomycorrhizae into its product mix
- In 2002, the company moved to its first large-scale production and office building on “E” Street in Grants Pass, OR
- In 2004, Mycorrhizal Applications entered into the agriculture industry with its MycoApply Micronized Endo product being utilized as a seed coat, kick starting the next growth phase for the company
- In 2012, the new eco-friendly headquarters facility opened in Grants Pass, OR
- In 2013, the new Production Facility opened in Grants Pass, OR, in order to build upon the company campus and make room for continued growth
- In 2015, Mycorrhizal Applications became a wholly owned subsidiary of Valent BioSciences Corporation, a Sumitomo Chemical Company
- In 2016 – 2018, the team at MA has developed and launched new highly-concentrated MycoApply® products for the Agriculture markets (EndoPrime and EndoMaxx), as well as many new international products for markets all over the world, while re-invigorating our MycoApply® brand presence in the non-Agriculture sectors including Horticulture, Nurseries, Greenhouses, Arbor Care, and Turf Management with our Professional Product Line.
- 2018 and Beyond: We are continuing to refine our product line, develop new mycorrhizal tools to maximize success for growers and farmers, and advance our biorational technology worldwide in our ongoing efforts to Change Your World for the better!
A Company Success Story:
Here is just one of the many success stories that we hear from Mycorrhizal Applications customers:
Hello Dr. Mike,
I just wanted to follow up on our conversation regarding the application of Mycorrhizal Applications mycorrhizae on our vineyard. If I misuse the application of the word, I do apologize. Mycorrhiza/Mycorrhizae/Mycorrhizal, it’s confusing!
We have a vineyard in Southern Oregon on the Missouri Flat Bench. I am aware that you have done extensive soil testing in this area. After showing you our Zinfandel, you thought that there was a hardpan layer preventing the vines from getting their roots deeper in the soils.
Due to the rocky soil and the fact that we Dry Farm, the Zinfandel in particular has always struggled. So we took your advice and applied the first Mycorrhizae to all the soils in 2012. Placing a tablespoon at the base of each plant and letting the Fall Rains wash it into the roots. Then we applied the 2nd Mycorrhizae to the Zinfandel in Spring of 2014 and most recently the Spring of 2015 during the rains.
The upper block of Zinfandel is now on it’s 9th leaf. We noticed a marked change after the first application in 2012. The subsequent Spring of 2013, the vigor of the vines and the fruit set and were much improved. So we set out to apply again in the Spring of 2014. The vines did so well that in a heavy wind one entire row was blown over, trellis and all because it was so heavy with fruit!
Indeed, last year was a record year for growth the Zinfandel section of the vineyard, the rest of the vineyard has definitely benefitted, and most notably in the Zin. The girth of the trunks almost doubled. They went from 3″ to about 6″. We have again applied Mycorrhizae this Spring. We look forward to watching the vines continue to survive.
We are entering a palpable drought. It will affect us all. I am so amazed at the symbiosis of these tiny little creatures with the root systems of plants. I admire your knowledge and dedication to the production of this product. We look forward to using it through the years.
Rosella’s Vineyard Winery