About Our Company
Sumitomo Chemical America, Inc. (SCAI) is the Regional Headquarters for the Americas and provides sales and marketing activities in North and South America. We are proud to work with talented teams of scientists, salespeople, and other employees at our respective Group Companies in the Americas representing the diverse business sectors of our parent company. Each of these remarkable businesses extends our corporate philosophy of benefiting society, not just our own interests — from manufacturing products used in advanced solar cells to protecting urban Ash trees from the invasive emerald ash borer.
In keeping with the principles of our parent company, SCAI is committed to providing high quality products and technical solutions for our customers, and to making a positive contribution to society at large.
We also strive to improve the long-term foundation of our group by identifying opportunities and improvements within our business.
In 2015, we celebrated 100 years in business. We have reaffirmed the importance of corporate social responsibility (CSR) in our business operations and have made a commitment, as part of our corporate vision, to help solve global challenges through the power of chemistry, or what we refer to as Creative Hybrid Chemistry.
Chemistry wields virtually unlimited potential to create solutions to a myriad of problems that threaten the sustainable development of the world, including environmental issues, natural resource and energy problems, food shortages, and poverty. At Sumitomo Chemical, we strive to develop innovative solutions and products by combining the technologies and expertise we have accumulated through years of operation as a diversified chemical company.
At Sumitomo Chemical, we are guided by our core principle that we must not only seek business profits but that we must contribute to society through our business activities. This “Sumitomo Spirit” is based on the guiding principles of Masatomo Sumitomo, a Buddhist monk and the 17th century founding father of the House of Sumitomo, who urged family members to conduct business with honesty, prudence, and certainty.
Our credo states “Our businesses must benefit society at large, not just our own interests.” Jiri-Rita Koushi-Ichinyo reminds us that our business must benefit ourselves (jiri) and at the same time serve the interests of the nation and society (rita). This teaching emphasizes the importance of maintaining harmony between the interests of a business and those of the public (koushi-ichinyo). Sumitomo Chemical’s core principles are clearly expressed in our Business Principles (established in 1891), our Business Philosophy, and our Corporate Statement.
The Sumitomo Spirit: Sumitomo’s Business Principles
- Sumitomo shall achieve prosperity based on a solid foundation by placing prime importance on integrity and sound management in the conduct of its business.
- Sumitomo’s business interest must always be in harmony with public interest; Sumitomo shall adapt to good times and bad times but will not pursue immoral business.
Sumitomo Chemical’s Business Philosophy
- We commit ourselves to creating new value by building on innovation.
- We work to contribute to society through our business activities.
- We develop a vibrant corporate culture and continue to be a company that society can trust.
Sumitomo Chemical Charter for Business Conduct
We believe it is our responsibility to conduct business to the highest ethical standards and act on our own responsibility. The “Sumitomo Chemical Charter for Business Conduct” spells out the basic guiding principles on which our compliance system is built.
- We will respect Sumitomo’s business philosophy and act as highly esteemed good citizens.
- We will observe laws and regulations, both at home and abroad, and will carry out activities in accordance with our corporate rules.
- We will develop and supply useful and safe products and technologies that will contribute significantly to the progress of society.
- We will engage in voluntary and active initiatives to achieve zero-accident and zero-injury operations and preserve the global environment.
- We will conduct business transactions based on fair and free competition.
- We will endeavor to make our workplaces sound and energetic.
- Every one of us will strive to become a professional and achieve advanced skills and expertise in our field of responsibility.
- We will actively communicate with our various stakeholders, including shareholders, customers, and local communities.
- As a corporate member of an international society, we will respect the culture and customs of every region of the world and contribute to the development of those regions.
- We will strive for the continued development of our Company through business activities conducted in accordance with the guiding principles described herein.