Responsible Care Overview
Sumitomo Chemical Group has set forth safety, the environment, and product quality as top priorities in all phases of its business activities.
Responsible Care (RC) activities refer to the voluntary initiatives undertaken by business operators in the chemical industry, with the goals of ensuring safety, the environment, and health throughout the life cycles of chemical products—from development through manufacture, sales, use, and disposal after final consumption—maintaining and improving the quality of those products. Through these activities, we also strive to gain the further trust of society through continuous dialogue. Based on the core principle of “Making safety our first priority,” the Sumitomo Chemical Group engages in RC activities from a variety of perspectives.
The following Corporate Policy on Safety, the Environment, and Product Quality, has been communicated to all employees of the Sumitomo Chemical Group.
Corporate Policy on Safety, the Environment and Product Quality
Established April 1, 1994
Revised November 1, 2005
In conformity with Sumitomo’s Business Principles, our Company fulfills its responsibility to develop, manufacture and supply a variety of products that satisfy the fundamental necessities of human life and contribute to the growth of society. Under the concept of “Making Safety the First Priority,” which is fundamental to all the Company’s operations, Sumitomo Chemical has based management of its activities on the principles of (i) maintaining zero-accident and zero-injury operations, (ii) ensuring customer satisfaction, and (iii) promoting mutual prosperity with society.
Paying due respect to these principles, our Company is determined to conduct all activities, including production, R&D, marketing & sales and logistics, in accordance with the following policy related to safety, the environment and product quality.
- Maintain zero-accident and zero-injury operations and the safety of neighboring communities and our employees.
- Ascertain the safety of raw materials, intermediates and products, and prevent our employees, distributors, customers and consumers from being exposed to any possible hazard.
- Supply high-quality products and services that satisfy customers’ needs and ensure safety in their use.
- Assess and reduce our environmental impact at all operational stages, from product development to disposal, and undertake all practical environmental protection measures.
All sections and employees of our Company shall be made fully aware of the significance of this policy, and shall constantly strive to improve operational performance, while at the same time abiding by all relevant laws, regulations and standards.
A summary of its key Responsible Care initiatives are stated in its Policy on Responsible Care Activities, which is incorporated into the specific activity targets and plans formulated annually by each Sumitomo Chemical workplace and Group company.
Policy on Responsible Care Activities
Established January 1995
Revised July 15, 2013
In accordance with the Sumitomo Chemical Charter for Business Conduct and the Corporate Policy on Safety, the Environment and Product Quality, the Sumitomo Chemical Group as a whole will strive to promote Responsible Care Activities, thereby earning the trust of society, promoting business activities, and contributing to the sustainable development of society
- We will achieve zero-accident, zero-disaster targets to ensure safe and stable operations.
- We will conduct risk management throughout the life cycle of our products, from the stages of development to manufacturing, logistics, use, and disposal and strive to ensure the safety of our employees, those involved in logistics, customers, and general consumers as well as the local community while also preserving the environment.
- We will strive to develop safe and environmentally friendly products and manufacturing processes.
- We will promote energy and resource conservation and waste reduction, thereby easing the environmental burden.
- We will comply with all domestic and international laws, regulations, and ordinances related to safety, the environment, and product quality, and further enhance our related voluntary initiatives.
- We will implement the requisite education and training related to safety, the environment, and product quality.
- We will disclose information on Responsible Care Activities and engage in dialogue with society to ensure we meet society’s expectations, respond to its interests, and remain accountable to the same.
- We will continuously improve Responsible Care Activities based on Responsible Care auditing and third-party verification.
- We will support the Responsible Care Activities of Group companies, contractors, and other business partners and help them carry out initiatives to enhance the same both at home and abroad.